Wednesday 3 September 2014

O is for Ooops

I failed! I didn't make my self assigned Friday deadline last week...oops in a major way! 

I do have a very good excuse though, The Two Monkeys and I were away for a few days visiting my sisters and her family to celebrate my nieces 4th birthday and so I wasn't actually at home to write and too busy to put my thoughts onto the screen of my phone.  I will be doing some writing on birthday cakes in the future and I did deconstruction of the pink castle cake to write up on here for you all.

However, I am here now and thought I would share with you a few of  my kitchen "ooops" moments...because lets be honest, unless you are Mary Poppins there will be times when things just go wrong.

My most recent ooops can actually only be described as a complete disaster and happened just yesterday. The boys and I were off out to a friends for a play date and I thought I would be super organised and take over some fresh baked danish pastries. I am going to be totally honest and say they weren't my own pastry, rather the lovely bake-it-fresh range from Jus-Rol
They look lovely don't they.  

Really delicious.

Just perfect with a cup of something and a natter with my friend whilst our children played on the trampoline or ran laps of the garden.

But I got distracted.

First up was the nappy change that needed doing, but having sorted that and taken a quick peek in the oven and I thought I still had plenty of time.

Then the laundry needed hanging out on the line and as the sun was out for the first time in days I wasn't going to waste the opportunity. Half way through the basket of wet clothes I come across a shirt, which meant a quick dash inside and upstairs to grab a hanger or two out of the wardrobe. Back out to the garden (passing the oven on the way but not checking this time...error!) I finish pegging the last t-shirt and odd sock up on the line and head back towards the house, but not before I pick up all the various plastic toys of the lawn and put them in a pile for later. I feel a real sense of achievement, I am winning, in that moment I am a domestic goddess.

As I get to the back door I smell it...the unmistakable smell of burning food.

I run to the oven and pull down the door to be greeted with the most unfortunate and charred sight and with various muttered expletives I pull the stone tray out of the oven for closer inspection. Could they be saved? Was it just the corners?

No.

No such luck for me. 

What should have been delicious morsels of yummy goodness were now well burnt offerings fit only for the food waste bin. They looked bad, smelt bad and tasted even worse.


Ooops.

Needless to stay I stopped by a mini supermarket on my way to our playdate and grabbed some much better looking and very scrummy maple and pecan danish plaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment